image

So I have been trying to come up with some kind of unique spin on sponsoring the writers of the Clarion West Writeathon. I’ve been sponsoring individual writers here and there, but that just feels scattershot. I want to sponsor everyone who is participating, because everyone is awesome. But I also want to make it fun. So here’s my idea:

1. If you are a participant in the Clarion West Writeathon, post your best sentence from your WIP in a comment to this post.
  2. On July 29 (at the end of the Writeathon) I will donate $1 for every sentence that has been posted.
  3. SUPER BONUS OFFER: If each and every Writeathon participant posts a sentence here, I will celebrate by doing something extra special … An extra donation for the sentence I liked the best, or a prize giveaway, or something. But for that to happen, every single Writeathon participant must post a sentence for my amusement. Dance, monkeys!

So get busy! Get writing! Spread the word! Post some awesome sentences! I’m looking forward to reading them.

33 Responses to A buck for your best sentence!

1. Anonymous says:

“Just because one happens to be a werewolf does not mean one cannot also be a lady.”

2. Okay, a bit of context would probably help, but…

“If there is one thing the Tuesday Night
    Club has discovered, it is that schoolgirls are not to be trusted.”

3. Kip Manley says:

“You can even still speak with them, if you like, though the effort requires years of study in the anthropology department of a state university, and ruinous quantities of bourbon and pot.”
    p.p1 {margin: 8.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-indent: 28.0px; font: 13.0px Verdana}

4. Kip Manley says:

5. Best with context, but acceptable without I suppose:

“Monsters Beds have been clinically proven to build character in kids.”

6. […] other Write-a-thon news — the awesome M. K. Hobson is running a "Buck for your best sentence!" contest on her website — comment with your best Write-a-thon sentence, and she'll donate a dollar to Clarion […]

7. Brad Swift says:

Somehow, it seemed to Zak he should be getting used to talking animals by now, but he was as astonished by the dog’s speech as he had been by Ra-Kit’s, especially the somewhat aristocratic accent of the hulking dog.

8. Mike Underwood says:

They’d visited Memphis once before, a lifetime ago when Charlie and his
    friends were just TV personalities, custom-grown in Bunco’s genetic labs to be
    the perfect sticky entertainment for a Pre-K demo.

9. […] Meanwhile, participants, M.K. Hobson has pledged a buck for your best sentence. […]

10. Samantha Henderson says:

“That it was intended to be human was clear. It appeared to be crafte dof stone and metal together, although parts it it looked like it might be grown instead of crafted. It was the head of a man with well-formed, slightly full lips and a long, aquiline nose, and wide-set eyes under think brows.  A man, they thought at first, but after I time they knew it must be a woman…”
    -The Bat, the Beetle, the Gull or the Hawk

11. Tansyrr says:

“Theodora, if you try to bring that petition anywhere near me or these ghosts, I will bite you.”

12. Ozmonroe says:

“Well, because the way I see it
    religion is nothing more than a life preserver for those that can’t
    cope with the world and I’ve taught myself to swim.”

13. […] following sentence from the story temporarily known as “Wetness” to M.K. Hobson’s Buck for Your Best Sentence challenge: “Blue-tinted, mad-eyed, with the monstrous slickness of a newborn, it flailed, […]

14. The
    doorknocker was not a pineapple or a brass hoop, but a woman’s face.

15. Ada Milenkovic Brown says:

But every time Miss Peniel came to do his facilitated communication, the words on the computer screen got wilder.  The next time it said that Nicky wanted all people to come together in peace.

What he’d tried to write was, “Scratch my nose, it itches like crazy.”

16. Cat Rambo says:

“But demons, like humans, are prone
    to press as hard as they can, and sometimes they took over their victims so far,
    circumscribed their lives so closely, that they became prisoners of a single
    room or action.”

17. Julie McGalliard says:

On the day that Mrs. Dreardon was
    crushed by the angel, while everybody in town was still standing around
    staring at her broken body in the middle of the street and not knowing
    what to do, I grabbed Derek’s hand for the first time and gave it a
    good squeeze.

18. Serge Broom says:

“He couldn’t write his way out of a paperbag so he married a writer.”

19. Serge Broom says:

“We each are monkeys alone in the cold night on a branch in a tree that’s being shaken by wind and rain. Sometimes we’re lucky enough to find another monkey just like ourselves and we hang on to each other and the night is a little less cold on that branch in a tree that’s being shaken by wind and rain.”

20. Serge Broom says:

“After a lengthy penury of pens, the pain of which left him panting, he paid many pennies for 36 pens.”

21. Sandra M. Odell says:

A small white guy with a face like a hemorrhoid, puckered and mean, squints up at me through the screen door.

22. Pamela Rentz says:

No Karuks had ever been to the moon because they didn’t have a casino and their single economic enterprise, making Paul Bunyon furniture from giant logs, didn’t provide much profit.

23. Not going to call it my best sentence, but it’s a sentence from wip:

The chasm rumbled like a beast deep in its throat, rumbled and shook.

24. Christopher Brummet says:

Money
    makes nervous men patient and turns cowards into heroes, I suppose.

25. William T. Vandemark says:

Dropped from fifty-five thousand feet, a smart bomb gets stupid on its way down.

26. Jill Seidenstein says:

She wished she could
    kill the traitor inside her that kept her moving.

27. James Alan Gardner says:

Okay, since I’m writing the ending of a novel, it’s hard to find a single sentence that’s intelligible out of context; here’s the best I can offer.

“More attackers are descending from the sky: something blimp-like, and a flying reindeer with one dead eye dangling out of its socket.”

—Jim Gardner

28. emily c. skaftun says:

It was a struggle for Ari
    to keep her atoms together.

29. M says:

“See, my apron was still freshly starched and I probably couldn’t have assembled a simple Stolchovski M’nuvai without verifying all the ingredients against the mixologist’s guide… and even then I’d have been in danger of confusing a shot of formic acid with carbolic, and poisoning half the clientele.”

30. Brenta Blevins says:

“After
    that, she had to stop at the Java the Hut for an express cappuccino
    because knowing the Apocalypse was coming made for some jitters that
    only high-octane caffeine could smooth.”

31. Brenta Blevins says:

“After
    that, she had to stop at the Java the Hut for an express cappuccino
    because knowing the Apocalypse was coming made for some jitters that
    only high-octane caffeine could smooth.”