muse-the-resistance-album-artwork… is pretty OK, despite the fact that in some places (I’m looking at you “Guiding Light”) they’re going in a U2 direction of which I very much do not approve. But I love Matthew Bellamy’s voice. It’s so rich and vibrato-y. And the clarinet on “I Belong To You” is delicious and nutritious. So overall, “The Resistance” should be good for a few rounds on repeat. You can download the whole album free here.

You will notice that I don’t say “for free.” This is because “free” is not something one gives in exchange for the album. The word “free” indicates that no consideration is required to receive this excellent piece of musical artistry. Therefore, the addition of the word “for” is not merely unnecessary (as is asserted by those who allow it to slip by with this indulgent nod) it is rather utterly and completely incorrect (never mind that a prominent online grammarian dismissed me with “oh pooh, we have bigger errors to eradicate than that one” when I proposed it as my biggest linguistic pet peeve). In conclusion, the use of “for free” will always drive me up the wall. For reals.

Time for more coffee, I think.

8 Responses to The new Muse album …

1. I love Muse. My best friend is actually Matt’s guitar tech. Haven’t made it to the store to pick up the new one, so thanks for the reminder!

2. I love Muse. My best friend is actually Matt’s guitar tech. Haven’t made it to the store to pick up the new one, so thanks for the reminder!

3. M.K. Hobson says:

Last year I seriously OD’ed on Muse (like, playing it on repeat for two or three weeks straight,) and haven’t been able to listen to any of it since then. Having listened to the new album all day today, I’m pleased to say the only song I really don’t like is “Guiding Light”.

4. M.K. Hobson says:

5. DKT says:

Aw, I actually dig Guiding Light. Then again, I dig U2, so my judgment’s probably questionable πŸ™‚

What I really heard in this last album, specifically in The Resistance and United States of Eurasia was how much they sounded like Queen on this one, which I’d never noticed before. I still dig Black Holes and Revelations and Absolution more, but I’ll definitely take this one, too.

• M.K. Hobson says:

I’ve grown to tolerate later U2 in certain limited circumstances, but I found late 80s / early 90s U2 just terribly mawkish and pretentious.

Definitely the Freddy Mercury vibe is strong with Muse — Bellamy’s voice is so amazing in its range. *I’m* surprised how few reviewers seem to have picked up on the echos of Philip Glass in their orchestral pieces.

6. DKT says: